Assisting Sports Professionals With Immigration Solutions

P-1S: Supporting Staff of P-1 Beneficiary

Industry professionals can potentially obtain a P-1S while accompanying a P-1 Beneficiary.  These visas are authorized for up to one year and extendable for up to 10 years.  The P-1 visa process takes approximately 1 month or more to process but can be expedited for extra fees.  There are also visas available for immediate family of the beneficiary of the visa. Please click the link below for a complete break down of the process. 

B-1/B-2: Visitor Visa 

Professionals pursuing  or following up on business ventures may quality for a B-1/B-2 visitor visa.  If the professional is from a country in the visa waiver program, they might not even need to obtain the visa. The B-1/B-2 visa is very inexpensive and typically takes less than a month to obtain. This visa may be granted for up to 6 months and is appropriate for short term visits. If you require a more permanent solution, perhaps one of the other visa categories is more appropriate. 

E-1: Treaty Trader Visas

This non-immigrant classification is for nationals of select countries with which the United States maintains a treaty of commerce and navigation to be admitted to the United States temporarily for the sole purpose of engaging in international trade in goods, services, international banking, insurance, transportation, tourism, technology, and more. Certain employees of E-1 Treaty Traders, as long as they have the same nationality as their employer, may also be eligible for this classification. This is an effective visa for combat sports professionals that regularly do business in the United States. 

Qualified Treaty Traders and employees are allowed a maximum initial stay of two years. Requests for extension of stay may be granted in increments of up to two years each. There is no maximum limit to the number of extensions an E-1 nonimmigrant may be granted. All E-1 nonimmigrants, however, must maintain an intention to depart the United States when their status expires or is terminated. An E-1 nonimmigrant who travels abroad may generally be granted an automatic two-year period of readmission when returning to the United States.

O-1: Extraordinary Ability and Achievement

An O visa is a specialty visa reserved for individuals of extraordinary ability in the fields of science, education, business, arts, or athletics. This visa is issued for a period of up to three years and renewable. For a combat sports professional, there is a high standard to obtain this visa and requires sustained national or international acclaim. These visas require stringent documentation for supporting evidence that includes evidence of achievement in competition, letters of support from industry experts, and support from media articles. 

The O Visa is extremely fact specific and a consultation is necessary before pursuing an application.

L-1: Intra-Company Transfer Visa

L-1 category enables a U.S. employer to transfer an executive, manager or a professional employee with specialized knowledge relating to the organization’s interests from one of its affiliated foreign offices to one of its offices in the United States. This classification also enables a foreign company which does not yet have an affiliated U.S. office to send an executive or manager to the United States with the purpose of establishing one. The employee's spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 may to enter the United States under the L-2 category. Additionally, the L-2 spouse is eligible for employment authorization.

A manager or agent may open or use an existing U.S. subsidiary to transfer themselves to the U.S. entity as an employee. There is no cap on the number of visas issued in this category,  the beneficiary is free travel to and from the United States, and this visa a pathway to permanent residence. This visa is authorized for up to 3 years and renewable for up to 6 years.